Nuclear Power and Information in Australia
Investigative journalists – they do exist in the mainstream media, but they are now more likely to be found in Independent media
Mark Willacy – ABC reporter in North East Asia. (Yes, a mainstream journalist!) Willacy has given the most up to date, authentic news from Japan over the past year. (how long will they let him spill all these beans?)
Sophie Black editor, writer http://www.crikey.com.au
David Donovan editor, writer, Independent Australia http://www.independentaustralia.net/about/
Deborah Dupre human rights, environmental and peace activism, Aboriginal Pacific Islander and Australian research http://www.examiner.com/human-rights-in-national/deborah-dupre
Sandi Keane Independent Australia’s Environment correspondent http://www.independentaustralia.net/about/
Julie Macken , - Greenpeace Australia, New Matilda, Independent Australia
Alternative Media Image at left by courtesy of OPIRG and Global Aware Independent Media
Independent media in Australia – sorely needed, in view of Australia’s media monopolies, and the corporate grip on information – in this land dedicated as Quarry and Waste Dump of the world.
- Indymedia, the Independent Media Centre “is a network of collectively run media outlets for the creation of radical, accurate, and passionate tellings of the truth.” Alternet is news-magazine and online community that challenges the right wing media in the United States.
- OneWorld.net brings together the latest news and views from over 1,600 organizations promoting human rights awareness and fighting poverty worldwide.
- Jay’s Leftist & “Progressive” Internet Resources Directory is a vast site. Check on the Alternative Media topic, (under Subjects), which includes magazines (such as the New Internationalist, Third World Resurgence andResurgence), publishers, ezines and radio/TV.
- There are few listings for Australian alternative media.
- Community Broadcasting Online provides background information and links to Australian community radio and television. Alternative Radio is a source for public affairs programming which is made available without charge to all public radio stations.
- Green Left Weekly. gives some links to alternative media sites
- The Common Dreams News Center provides “news & views for the progressive community”
- Global Voices Online scans the international community of bloggers to bring attention to news that otherwise might go unseen.
- What could be more alternative than “good” news in the media! The Good News Agency relates voluntary work, the United Nations, NGO’s and other institutions engaged in improving the quality of life.
The Internet provides the opportunity for alternative and independent news. Mainstream corporate media clearly has its bias, – best evidenced in the issues that it DOESN’T COVER, but also in its role as corporate (or government) mouthpiece, and in its focus on (saleable) trivia and sensationalism.
Alternative media has its biases, too – all media comes from some opinion base. But bias does not mean that the information is false or worthless.
It’s’ always necessary to assess alternative media items, too - Does it make sense?, Does it use inflammatory or extreme language? Does it quote reputable sources? What’s in it for whom?
There are so many independent websites and blogs. On scrutiny, we can assess their credibility, and their bias. Very often, the bias is a passion for revealing the truth.
This same passion can show in mainstream media, too, and those news/information services deserve credit
No comments yet.