People power effective against New South Wales government plan to dump radioactive waste on Kemps Creek
People power stops Kemps Creek toxic waste plan Liverpool Leader, 1 Nov 11 RADIOACTIVE waste will not be dumped on Kemps Creek following an outpouring of community anger. The state government announced on Monday that more than 5000 tonnes of radioactive material will now be treated on-site by a federal agency at Hunters Hill before it will be removed.
Previous coverage: Kemps Creek dumping ground for radioactive waste
It ends a week of speculation after Finance Minister Greg Pearce agreed there were “no alternative waste sites in NSW”, during budget estimate hearings. Angry that the material from the former Hunters Hill uranium smelter seemed destined to be dumped at the SITA Environmental Solutions site, Kemps Creek residents last week kicked off a campaign to get a 10,000 signature petition to be debated in Parliament…. http://liverpool-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/heated-local-reaction/
Toro Energy has no credible plan for radioactive waste in its Western Australian Wiluna project
Greens says uranium mine plan flawed ABC News, 1 Nov 11 WA Greens Senator Scott Ludlum says Toro Energy’s proposal to the Environmental Protection Authority for its planned Wiluna uranium mine is full of gaping holes. In his public submission as part of the EPA approval process Mr Ludlum says there are a series of unanswered questions regarding the company’s proposed mine in the northern Goldfields.
Toro Energy is seeking environmental approval for what could become WA’s first uranium mine. Scott Ludlum says there are serious flaws in the company’s plans.
“The company is proposing to leave behind in the landscape tens of millions of tonnes of very finely powered carcinogenic radioactive waste and they are asking the tax payer to take on that liability ten years after the mine closes.” “To do that they need to put up a credible proposal for how that material is going to be isolated from people and the environment for tens of thousands of years and they haven’t even made an attempt to do that.” Toro Energy has declined to comment. http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2011/11/01/3353209.htm
International and Australian walkers join Aboriginal struggle against uranium mining
Australia: Anti-uranium mine marchers reach Perth Summit County Citizens Voice November 1, 2011 by Bob Berwyn, Groups show solidarity with indigenous people, call for halt to mining, By Summit Voice SUMMIT COUNTY — After nine weeks walking through rain, wind and dust across a big chunk of Australia, 50 protest marchers arrived in Perth to call for an end to uranium mining in Australia.
“Footprints for Peace have organized international walks against uranium mining for seven years. On each walk we hear
the same stories about the broken promises from the nuclear industry. said march coordinator Marcus Atkinson. “This industry … divides communities and leaves people uncertain and afraid about the future.”
The group has been walking in solidarity with the Traditional Custodians of theWiluna and Yeelirrie areas where uranium mines have been proposed; many are opposed to the mines but have no legal recourse.
Bilbo Taylor, spokesperson for Walk Away from Uranium Mining, said, “Although we are walking into the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting, this is not about the Queen or any other heads of government, this is about common people from around the world who have walked together with the indigenous peoples of this land in respect for their sovereign rights, and with a simple message ‘Irati Wanti – uranium, leave it in the ground “
Jocelyn Peyret, from the Resau Sortir du Nucleaire– an anti-nuclear federation of 915 organisation and 54,109 individual members, has been with the walk since the beginning. He has witnessed the way the nuclear industry works both in France and Australia.
“We support the indigenous people in their fight because it’s the same in France,” Peyret said. “They arrive with a lot of money and promises of jobs, but when they’re done, they just leave problems. It’s the same fight. The nuclear industry take’s your land and your future”
“For an indigenous person of North America, it simply means no more exploitation and colonization,” said
Ammon Russell, an indigenous person from the Dine/Navajo reservation in Arizona. “Australians can begin by simply respecting what the original caretakers of this land maintained in culture, language and belief systems.” http://summitcountyvoice.com/2011/11/01/australia-anti-uranium-mine-marchers-reach-perth/
Japanese localities don’t want radioactive waste – “NIMBY” hits Japan


Nuclear Cleanup Faces ‘NIMBY’ Challenge, WSJ By Yumiko Ono, 31 Oct 11, In handling the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear crisis, Japan has gotten help from American scientists and imported American robots. Now comes a popular American phrase: NIMBY….Japan is trying to get around the NIMBY problem by planning to move the contaminated waste from one place to another. The government has asked each municipality to store its own contaminated waste for now until it comes up with an “interim” storage facility. In the meantime, it will debate the more sensitive issue of where to store the waste permanently. Continue reading
Fossil fuel subsidies prevent the development of renewable energy – says IAE
Renewable Energy Being Held Back by Fossil Fuel Subsidies – IEA. Oil Price.com by By. Carin Hall,Energy Digital, 01 November 2011‘ Recent reports show a massive increase in coal dependency caused by fossil fuel subsidies to be addressed at World Climate Summit.
According to the International Energy Agency’s (IEA) latest findings, coal and oil subsidies pose the greatest challenge to the renewable energy market. As the world’s largest exporter of coal, Australia’s carbon emissions have grown nearly 300 percent since 1970, according to the IEA’s last annual report on CO2 emissions. Worse, that percentage is regional, excluding the huge amounts of coal shipped overseas to some 20 dependent countries. Continue reading
Continued anti nuclear protest in India, as Koodankulam fasting continues
Tamil Nadu Koodankulam relay fast continues IBN Live, 1 Nov 11, CHENNAI: The protest fast against the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) continued for the 14th day Monday in Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu, an activist said.
“Around 400 people from Thomaiarpuram, Idinthakarai and Kudankulam participated in the fast,” S. Sivasubramanian, coordinator of the People’s Rights Movement, an organisation fighting for the plant’s closure, told IANS.
India’s nuclear power plant operator NPCIL is building two 1,000 MW nuclear power reactors with Russian technology and equipment in Koodankulam, around 650 km from here. The first unit is expected to go on stream in December. The project is estimated to cost around Rs.13,000 crore…. http://ibnlive.in.com/news/tn-koodankulam-relay-fast-continues/197977-60-118.html


