Australia’s Lucas Heights nuclear reactor to get less security
Lucas Heights nuclear reactor’s security may be cut DANIEL MEERS THE DAILY TELEGRAPH SEPTEMBER 24, 2014 THERE are fresh fears federal police numbers may be cut at the Lucas Heights nuclear reactor, the site of a security breach on Monday.
Just a day after police intercepted bushwalkers at the restricted site 31km southwest of Sydney, the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union claimed Australian Federal Police numbers would be cut from 21 to six at the site next month and restructured. The union’s claims follow funding cuts for the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) which the organisation says has led to a restructure in operations.
Safety supervisors would also be outsourced under the restructure.
A spokesman for ANSTO yesterday said the union figures on policing were wrong but conceded there had been changes to roles…..
AMWU NSW secretary Tim Ayres said he was concerned about security at the site. “In a climate of heightened security risks, we’re about to hand over security of a nuclear reactor to a contractor firm. How can this deliver better safety?
“The community expects our high-risk security targets are patrolled by professional federal police officers and a strong on-site safety culture. But ANSTO … has decided to go with the cheaper option.”….http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/lucas-heights-nuclear-reactors-security-may-be-cut/story-fni0cx12-1227068424540
No comments yet.


Leave a comment