Antinuclear

Australian news, and some related international items

NSW govt second thoughts on radioactive waste to Western Sydney

A protest by local residents, and attended by Liberal candidate for Mulgoa, Tanya Davis, was due to take place today outside the Sita facility.

Radioactive site waste ‘options’ sought | Herald Sun October 17, 2010 THE New South Wales government will look at other ways to dispose of hazardous material from a radioactive site on Sydney’s north shore, with a community backlash over fears it would be dumped west of the city.

Premier Kristina Keneally said today she had instructed the chief executive of the Land and Property Management Authority Warwick Watkins to examine “alternative options” for the transfer of the material out of the site in Hunters Hill.

Ms Keneally said she had been advised the material from the site in Nelson Parade was not classified as radioactive waste, which cannot be sent to landfill and must be stored.”The material from Nelson Parade is less hazardous, classified as restricted solid waste,” she added.”However, given the community concern regarding this material, I have instructed Mr Watkins to examine alternative options – including interstate or overseas locations – for the transfer of this waste.

……….A protest by local residents, and attended by Liberal candidate for Mulgoa, Tanya Davis, was due to take place today outside the Sita facility. . Radioactive site waste ‘options’ sought | Herald Sun

October 18, 2010 - Posted by | New South Wales, uranium, wastes | , , , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: