To 15 April- Australian nuclear and climate news
Once again – weapons, and with the Syria conflict, the threat of nuclear war are in the news this week. South Korea tries to reassure citizens that U.S. won’t strike North Korea pre-emptively. Meanwhile cautious and problematic negotiations at at U.N. nuclear weapons ban treaty meeting.
For Australia, the big issue of the week was, and still is, the Queensland Adani coal mine expansion project – a foolish use of tax-payers’ money. Prime Minister Turnbull actively lobbying for Adani and the coal industry, not without attracting criticism. Adani coal mine could become a massive stranded asset, lawyers warn. Turnbull offers to sacrifice Aboriginal rights to Adani in an act of national betrayal. Adani faces strong Indigenous fight despite court outcome Labor resists pressure for $900 million Adani coal mine loan. Satellite images showed black water flowing to wetlands from Abbot Point Coal Terminal. Big Nobs at Westpac dinner interrupted for 90 minutes by anti Adani protestors. #StopAdani National Week of Action.
Pine Gap critically involved in USA – North Korea antagonism.
NUCLEAR. Australian government about to secretly sign up to participate in developing new “Generation IV” nuclear reactors. Kimba South Australia: Neighbours still opposed to nominated nuclear waste facility sites. ERA boss pushes nuclear power as energy source for Australia.
CLIMATE Australia’s “CATASTROPHIC collapse of life”in some areas, if we don’t change policies on climate change. Insurance companies want big increase in govt disaster mitigation spending. Unprecedented Harm to Great Barrier Reef From Back-to-Back Bleaching.
Farmers For Climate gives a voice for rural Australians. Senate Committee Report recommends market-based carbon trading scheme, but shows idealogical divisions between political parties. Young Nationals split from party policy, now to back emissions trading. Liberal COALition’s answer to global warming – more coal is needed!! Institute of Public Affairs (IPA) backing shonky climate denial book.
- Port Augusta highlights the energy transformation now happening in Australia. Huge 300MW solar farm begins construction near Port Augusta.
- Record renewable energy production in South Australia: will Liberal opposition support govt legislation to regulate electricity market?
- Broken Hill’s giant leap – from mining hub to solar centre. Rooftop solar now Queensland’s biggest power station
- Huge surge in household solar panel installations. New rules flag big switch in energy markets to cheaper, smarter grid .
- Strong support for renewable energy, by Victorian government.
- Telecommunications company joins Click energy to challenge coal electricity utilities. EnergyLab: Program to accelerate creation of renewable energy start-ups launches in Sydney.
- Turnbull govt in for a shock, with new CEO of Australian Energy Market Operator, Audrey Zibelman.
- New poll shows very high public support for renewable energy. Australia’s Liberal Coalition supporters want quicker shift to renewable energy.
- People self-diagnosing “windfarm diseases” ?
No comments yet.