Antinuclear

Australian news, and some related international items

North Korea warns of nuclear strike against Australia: Turnbull tight-lipped about joining any USA military action.

North Korea threatens nuclear strike against Australia if it doesn’t stop ‘blindly toeing US line’ ABC News, by defence reporter Andrew Greene, 23 Apr 17, North Korea has warned Australia it could be hit with nuclear weapons if it continues to “blindly” follow the United States.

Key points:

  • N Korean accuses Australia of “spouting a string of rubbish” about isolated regime
  • Spokesman said Julie Bishop could “never be pardoned” for saying North Korea’s nukes were a threat to Australia
  • Comments coincide with Mike Pence’s visit to Australia

The comments came after Foreign Minister Julie Bishop earlier this week said on the ABC’s AM program that North Korea’s nuclear weapons program posed a “serious threat” to Australia unless it was stopped by the international community.

A spokesman for the North Korean Foreign Ministry accused Australia of “spouting a string of rubbish” about the isolated regime, and warned against following the US.

“The present Government of Australia is blindly and zealously toeing the US line,” the spokesman said. “If Australia persists in following the US’ moves to isolate and stifle North Korea … this will be a suicidal act of coming within the range of the nuclear strike of the strategic force of North Korea.”

The North Korean Foreign Ministry also directly addressed Ms Bishop’s interview, warning she had “better think twice about the consequences to be entailed by her reckless tongue-lashing before flattering the US”. What she uttered can never be pardoned,” the spokesman said. “It is hard to expect good words from the Foreign Minister of such a government. But if she is the Foreign Minister of a country, she should speak with elementary common sense about the essence of the situation.”

Pence, after talks with PM, said US would ‘deal’ with North Korea  The comments coincided with a visit to Australia by US Vice-President Mike Pence, who continued to condemn Pyongyang’s weapons program at a time of heightened tension between the regions.Mr Pence also thanked Australia for calling on China to exert greater economic and diplomatic pressure on North Korea. “As President Trump made clear a few days ago, if China is unable to deal with North Korea, the United States and our allies will,” he said, following a meeting with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

“Mr Prime Minister, know that President Trump and I are truly grateful to you for calling on China even this week to play an even more active and constructive role in addressing the North Korean threat.”

Mr Pence would not rule out the use of military force in North Korea, repeating “all options are on the table”, but stressed the US was focused on diplomacy at this stage.

Mr Turnbull meanwhile said it was “self-evident” China had the capacity to bring more pressure to bear on North Korea.

But he brushed off questions about whether Australia would join any military strike on the regime in the future..….http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-22/north-korea-accuses-australia-of-blindly-following-the-us/8464252

Advertisements

April 23, 2017 - Posted by | AUSTRALIA - NATIONAL, politics international

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: