Antinuclear

Australian news, and some related international items

Clear opposition to nuclear development in South Australia: no further tax-payer money should be wasted on it

“…….Mr Parnell said the laws — changed last year to allow public consultation on the issue — must be reinstated now Premier Jay Weatherill said the nuclear debate was dead.

“The Government has already wasted over $13 million of taxpayers’ money on this dump proposal and I want to make sure that any future public relations exercises for harebrained schemes like this won’t be funded without Parliament’s approval,” Mr Parnell said.

“There are still too many diehard nuclear dump supporters inside both the old parties for us to trust them with public money.”

Mr Weatherill last year said the Government was still committed to a referendum on the issue, but would not do so until there was bipartisan support.

But he went further in June, saying he would not revisit the nuclear debate even if he wins the 2018 election.

The Liberal Party said it was opposed to a nuclear facility in SA after the Government’s citizens’ jury process overwhelmingly rejected it.

Two thirds of the 350-member panel said they did not wish to pursue nuclear storage under any circumstances….” The Advertiser, 19 July 17 

Advertisements

July 21, 2017 - Posted by | politics, South Australia

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: