Antinuclear

Australian news, and some related international items

North Korea slams ‘false’ nuclear test site deaths report

 http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/north-korea-slams-false-nuclear-test-site-deaths-report/news-story/6f0dd29d2e39614249f3796abb535952  NORTH Korea has slammed reports that hundreds of people were crushed to death when tunnels collapsed at a nuclear test site. NORTH Korea slammed a Japanese TV station’s report on Thursday that claimed hundreds of people were crushed to death when tunnels collapsed at its unstable nuclear test site.

The statement comes as a South Korean spy agency renewed fears that the Hermit Kingdom is planning a missile tests, reports Fox News.

North Korea’s state-run Korean Central News Agency said in a statement that the Tuesday report by Japanese broadcaster Asahi TV was “false” and merely “misinformation,” Reuters reported.

It accused the Japanese station of trying to “slander” the rogue regime’s nuclear weapons program.

The Japanese TV station reported on Tuesday that 200 are feared dead after an underground tunnel collapsed at the Punggye-ri test site on October 10.

The workers were in the tunnel during the initial cave-in, the station reported, citing a North Korean source. Another 100 people were crushed when the tunnels gave way on top of rescuers.

The station also blamed the country’s sixth nuclear test on September 3 for destabilising the area and causing the tunnels to crumble.

Despite North Korea’s rebuke of the report, experts have previously said the test site could be on the verge of collapse more than a month after the powerful blast.

Pyongyang said it detonated a hydrogen bomb, calling it a “perfect success” that was reportedly 10 times more powerful than the nuclear bomb that was dropped over Hiroshima at the end of World War II.

Three small tremors have been detected from the area since the test triggered a 6.3-magnitude earthquake. Satellite images obtained by 38 North, which specialises in North Korea issues, showed a possible “collapsed chimney crater” at Mount Mantap, where the tests are reportedly being conducted underground.

On Thursday, the National Intelligence Service, South Korea’s spy agency, reported detecting “active movement” at a Pyongyang missile research facility that indicated Kim Jong-un’s regimen was possibly planning a new missile test, according to Yonhap News Agency. Punggye-ri test site’s tunnel three was also reportedly ready to conduct another nuclear test “at any time,” the agency claimed.

“The North will carry out additional nuclear tests and continue to push for the development of miniaturised, diversified nuclear warheads,” the South Korean spy agency said.

President Donald Trump is set to leave for his five-nation Asia tour on Friday, stopping in Japan, South Korea, China, Vietnam and Philippines — his first trip in the region since taking office. He is expected to stop in South Korea next Tuesday.

North Korea carried out its last intermediate-range missile test in September that flew over northern Japan before splashing into the Pacific Ocean. Officials feared another launch was imminent when North Korea celebrated two holidays — the anniversaries of its first nuclear test and the foundation of the ruling Worker’s Party of Korea — in early October.

Celebrations remained mostly peaceful with no rocket or nuclear test.

 

Advertisements

November 3, 2017 - Posted by | General News

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: