Antinuclear

Australian news, and some related international items

Aboriginal landowners say that radioactive waste contractors ‘damaged’ cultural sites

Radioactive waste contractors ‘damaged’ cultural sites, allege traditional owners, SBS News, 19 Dec 18 Traditional owners in South Australia have launched a complaint to the Australian Human Rights Commission over the federal government’s plans for a nuclear waste facility.

Traditional owners in South Australia’s Flinders Ranges have launched a complaint to the Australian Human Rights Commission, alleging contractors damaged a precious cultural site while assessing land for a new nuclear waste facility.

Maurice Blackburn lawyer Nicki Lees, acting for the Adnyamathanha Traditional Lands Association (ATLA), said Adnyamathanha traditional owners were concerned about the alleged actions of contractors on their lands.

“Earlier this year, contractors of the Commonwealth caused significant harm and damage to an area that is particularly significant to traditional owners, and in particular female Adnyamathanha women,” she said.

“What we’re doing today is saying that the Commonwealth failed to deal with that damage, and they failed to take seriously the complaint that ATLA made to the Commonwealth regarding that damage.”

The complaint also alleges that a vote to determine support for a nuclear waste site excluded a large number of traditional owners.

“The complaint alleges that because a large number of traditional owners are not included in the vote, it is therefore discriminatory and unlawful,” Ms Lees said.

Earlier this year, Barngarla traditional owners launched a similar complaint alleging a community vote was discriminatory because it failed to include native title holders who didn’t reside in the community.

Vince Coulthard, Chief Executive of ATLA, said his people deeply opposed the nuclear waste proposal.

“The Adnyamathanha people have voted against the waste dump. We don’t want the waste dump on our country,” he said.

“The department on this consultation has gone and spoken with other people in the region, other interest groups, they’ve never come out and spoken directly with us.”……..

Three South Australian sites have been short-listed to house Australia’s low and medium level nuclear waste. Two are near Kimba, on the Eyre Peninsula. The third is near Hawker in the Flinders Ranges.

A planned community vote to determine support for the facility had to be postponed earlier this year after Barngarla traditional owners were granted an injunction by the South Australian Supreme Court.

This Barngarla matter will return to court in January. Three South Australian sites have been short-listed to house Australia’s low and medium level nuclear waste. Two are near Kimba, on the Eyre Peninsula. The third is near Hawker in the Flinders Ranges.

A planned community vote to determine support for the facility had to be postponed earlier this year after Barngarla traditional owners were granted an injunction by the South Australian Supreme Court.

This Barngarla matter will return to court in January.https://www.sbs.com.au/news/radioactive-waste-contractors-damaged-cultural-sites-allege-traditional-owners?fbclid=IwAR1IMP4yisi_kHZ30Bslg2ftYw75j6IjMAcsKLOmFvboX9d1G1EbMJ1iQJE

Advertisements

December 20, 2018 - Posted by | aboriginal issues, AUSTRALIA - NATIONAL, legal

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: