Antinuclear

Australian news, and some related international items

Radioactive waste from posh suburb to the lower class

The new classification of ”restricted solid waste” allows the government, which has dithered for decades about what to do with the radioactive site, to transport waste to the western suburbs……

State sends radioactive waste west, Sydney Morning Herald, Heath Aston, October 17, 2010 MORE than 5000 tonnes of radioactive waste will be dug up from one of Sydney’s wealthiest harbourside suburbs, trucked across the city and dumped near Penrith.

Secret documents passed to The Sun-Herald show soil from a former uranium smelter in Hunters Hill, previously proven to be hazardous in tests by nuclear experts, has been reclassified as safe by the state government to be disposed of in landfill.

The new classification of ”restricted solid waste” allows the government, which has dithered for decades about what to do with the radioactive site, to transport waste to the western suburbs……

Special sealed trucks will begin rolling across the city from early next year to dump waste at Kemps Creek, near Penrith.

SITA, the private owner of the Kemps Creek waste site, will be paid $3.5 million to take an estimated 5830 tonnes of radioactive waste, the documents show.

The Keneally government is then expected to sell each of the three contaminated blocks at 7, 9 and 11 Nelson Parade, Hunters Hill, for $3 million.

But the government knows it faces a major public backlash, particularly around Penrith……………

Penrith councillor Tanya Davies, the Liberal candidate for Mulgoa, said the area would not cop being ”Labor’s dumping ground for Sydney’s waste” and planned to protest vigorously.

Opponents of the plan will argue that Kemps Creek cannot legally accept potentially hazardous waste. Documents, obtained under the Government Information (Public Access) Act, show that data compiled by the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation in 1987 was not considered in the latest audit.

At the time, 37 of 226 samples taken by ANSTO were found to exceed 100 becquerels a gram, the level considered hazardous, and that would require special disposal, which NSW does not have.

Eearlier tests showing dangerous radioactive levels were ruled out for being too old.

”Considering the time it takes for radioactivity to diminish it is absolutely laughable to say that tests done 20 years ago are out of date,” she said……

State sends radioactive waste west

Advertisements

October 16, 2010 - Posted by | New South Wales, wastes | , , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: